Tuesday, August 14, 2007

LaPCA's home base mourns

There is no Louisiana Peace Corps Association news, save that regarding the home of many of its RPCVs.
Bruce Ingber, longtime the mortar for LaPCA's organization, was personally touched recently by one of New Orleans all too frequent homicides. Bruce worked with both the victim and his father.
Here is the Times-Picayune's eloquent feature on the victim and his family.

http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-8/1186898445248190.xml&coll=1

Here is the Times-Pic's initial story on Mayor Ray Nagin's foot-in-mouth incident shortly before the murder took place.

http://blog.nola.com/jeff_crouere/2007/08/oops_he_did_it_again_nagin_emb.html


I wanted to post this for the few who might not now about New Orleans' uneasy atmosphere.
I know that as a RPCV, I was not alone in having lived through trauma at my post, and that as a Katrina survivor, I was not alone in having lived through the trauma of that disaster.
Now, a new trauma is visited upon New Orleanians every week, some harder than others. I, as I imagine many others do, soldier on, and put an arm around others to help them when I can. It is almost always just a kind word, and sometimes it is just a continued vow to remember to try and make the world around me a better place.
So, for the few who read this, forget the Crescent City not, and reach out to support New Orleanians when you can because New Orleanians would surely do the same for you.

No comments: